The Greensboro Astronomy Club was founded in 1948 and has served the astronomical needs of the Triad continuously for over 60 years. The GAC sponsors local activities such as Astronomy Day and assists with Astronomy related activities at the Natural Science Center. The Club also assists local schools and civic organizations with astronomy programs.
The objectives of the GAC are:
* To promote the study of Astronomy
* To stimulate an interest in all Astronomical fields
* To participate in activities of amateur Astronomical Societies
* To assist in professional research studies
* To provide members with a forum for information sharing and encouragement
Membership is open to anyone and the yearly dues are $20.00 for a family membership.
The benefits of membership include:
* The Club’s monthly newsletter The Aperture
* Participation in special GAC activities
* Membership in the Astronomical League
* Access to the Club’s equipment & library
* Discounts to Astronomy and Sky & Telescope magazines
The GAC meets at the Natural Science Center on the third Friday of each month at 7:30 PM.
The meetings are open to the public.
The GAC holds regular observing sessions to view the stars, planets, galaxies, and other celestial objects on the first Friday of each month in conjunction with Guilford Technical Community College at the Cline Observatory on the Jamestown campus on High Point Rd.
Additional sessions are occasionally scheduled through out the year and will be posted on the GAC information line.
Viewing begins half an hour after sunset during Daylight Saving Time, at 7:00 during Standard Time and will be cancelled in the event of cloudy weather.